Saturday, January 30, 2010

Ed Kuepper - The Butterfly Net


MINE

Some of these albums just transport me to another place, another time... and this was the early 90s, when I went to see Ed perform and stood - well, close enough to punch him, had I been so inclined.  But why would I - he looked just like a cuddly koala bear, with his trademark semi-shy stance and floppy blonde hair.

Much is made of his career in bands (seminal punks The Saints, the Laughing Clowns, etc) but as a solo artist his music just shines.  Those jangly guitars, happy-sad lyrics and gorgeous pop hooks - beautiful.

A couple of years ago we had a party where I invited an old friend, staying in town because his son was in hospital nearby.  He repeatedly requested we play Mr Kuepper, but I refused, believing it wasn't really the kind of music for a party.  I'm still of that opinion (sorry Richard) but it's a great driving album and I'm elevating it to kitchen music - particularly for Black Ticket Day, Not A Soul Around, Real Wild Life...

Look, if you haven't heard any Ed, seriously go and click on the link and have a listen.  It's great guitar-based pop-rock.

VERDICT: TURN IT UP

YOURZ

Ah, Ed, what wonderful punk-rock-star memories his name evokes.  He probably doesn't remember but years ago, in a land far, far away (okay, about three hours south of my present location), I was in a band who had the privilege to support Ed when he played at a local university.  It was a wonderful show, full of crusty punks, indie kids and stunned university beer-rats looking for another place to crawl.

We'd played our set (a brilliant run through of indie-pop originals) and sat backstage with a bunch of friends and copious amounts of alcohol.  As the second support finished (I think), Mr Kuepper staggered through the back door and into our midst, a half-empty bottle of vodka in one hand and a cigarette in the other.  He gave us all a 'fuck-with-me-I-dare-you' look before heading off to find his band mates. 

A young girl, either naively brave or foolish (or possibly both), stepped into his path and timidly asked for his autograph.  The response still reverberates in my ears - a stunning, expletive-laden diatribe complete with gesticulations and spittle.  It was kind of like watching an explosion for the first time and something I will never forget.  He then wandered onto stage as though nothing happened and launched into his set.  It was pure, unexpurgated self-indulgence and only what anyone would expect from a punk-rock luminary.

I don't know what to say about this collection except that it is but the tip of a ridiculously large back-catalogue of material.  And this only includes his years as a solo artist.  If you don't know any of his music, stop reading this immediately, go to your favourite music download site and download Way I Made You Feel, Honey Steel's Gold, Also Sprach The King Of Euro-Disco, Nothing Changes In My House, Real Wild Life and Not A Soul Around.  Do it now and don't fuckin' argue.  Learn from this mistake and consider yourself told.

VERDICT: TURN IT UP

For more information: http://www.myspace.com/edkuepper

In our collection we also have Honey Steel's Gold

No comments:

Post a Comment