Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Beautiful South - Carry On Up The Charts


YOURZ

Well here's a first.  Despite this being a greatest hits collection, I don't know a single song on it (with the exception of their cover of Everybody's Talkin').  Okay, maybe I'm being a little bit hard on myself, given how much music is in the world.  But I know the name of the band quite well as they were around for nearly 20 years and in all that time, I never heard a single song of theirs I could recall.

On top of this, they were formed by a couple of the guys from The Housemartins, Paul Heaton and Dave Hemingway (another of the Housemartins was Norman Cook, better known to all as Fatboy Slim).

So, where's all this going.  Having listened to this collection, I think that even if I had heard some of their tracks over the years, I probably would have forgotten them almost straight away.  While I appreciate Mine's love of this, it's nice, pretty, safe music that will remain forgettable, as far as I'm concerned.

(Mine says: The LYRICS, dude!  Seriously, do you dismiss something just because it SOUNDS pretty?  I guess you prefer hard edgy rawk that rhymes moon and spoon!) (YourZ sez: I think this is a bit of say 'pot, meet kettle' - its not like Kylie or Abba or Madoona are known for their lyrics, right?) (Mine says: and I'd never object to you dissing Madge et al because they produce disposable pop.  Which this isn't, it contains damn fine lyrics and you're throwing out the baby with the bathwater when you do. hmph)

VERDICT: THROW IT OUT


MINE

There's one song on this album that's guaranteed to have me smiling and crying at the same time - and dammit I think I need to add it to my list of funeral songs.  It's Good As Gold - "I want my love, my joy, my laugh, my smile, my needs/ Not in the star signs/ Or the palm that she reads/ I want my sun-drenched, wind-swept Ingrid Bergman kiss/ Not in the next life/ I want it in this/ I want it in this."

Sidebar: in case you're interested, the list of my funeral songs is currently (and in that order): Tender by Blur, Movin' on Up by Primal Scream, and Dancing Queen by Abba.  Anyone else plan their memorial soundtracks?  I've been doing it since I was 16, and past songs have included Total Control by the Motels and Let the Sunshine In from the musical Hair (which I performed in at the tender age of 19 and yes I went nude).  (YourZ sez: now you got me thinking - definitely want Jeff Buckley's version of Hallelujah and something by QOTSA and, erm...)

This is another one of those albums that I have to turn up and SING to.  The songs range from the poetic (I'll Sail This Ship Alone) to the acerbic (A Little Time) to the downright funny (36D).  It's all about the lyrics.  I know this compilation's from fairly early on in their career, and they sold a bunch of records afterwards, but I love this album.  I love the fact that despite blokes wrote the songs, I can find a whole lot to relate to as a woman.  I can understand why they split up after so long together - and I can understand why they've re-formed - because what they do is just so GOOD.

And YourZ, sometime when I'm not around you can play Prettiest Eyes and see why it makes me cry.  "You can't have too many good times, children/ You can't have too many lines/ Take a good look at these crows feet/ Sitting on the prettiest eyes."

VERDICT: TURN IT UP


No comments:

Post a Comment