Thursday, March 25, 2010

Ian Dury & The Blockheads - Jukebox Dury

MINE

Yes, I know the CD to the side doesn't match the title we've got - but rest assured, all the songs on Jukebox Dury are on the album pictured.  Thank goodness. This is yet another best-of CD and one that has some damn fine songs on it.  Lots are actually on my gymPod, because it's nice to have a smile on your face while you're sweating and panting and wishing you could die right now and end the pain.

But I can't wait, I can't WAIT until the Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll movie comes out.  Featuring Andy Serkis (Gollum to the LOTR nerds) in the lead role, it promises to be a fabulous inside peek into the life of this larger-than-life muso.  It's no wonder that an all-about-the-lyrics girl like myself loves this band. From namechecking Noel Coward and Einstein in There Ain't Half Been Some Clever Bastards to the beautiful zen-like statements in You'll See Glimpses (Every living thing will be another friend) and of course the round-the-world in a song of Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick, Dury is just a delight as a songwriter.  The tunes don't suck, either.

VERDICT: TURN IT UP (Reasons to be cheerful/ one, two, THREE)


YOURZ

I remember years ago, watching Countdown, the iconic Australian music show that used to be on ABC every Sunday night at 6pm.  Every kid in Australia watched it because if they didn't, they wouldn't have anything to talk about the next day.  Repeated offences would most likely result in said offender being ostracised for the rest of their youth.

Anyway, my siblings and I were happily watching Countdown when the clip for Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick came on.  I loved the song partly because Dury was so naughty and cheeky and partly because the music was brilliant.

There's a part in the clip where Dury wags the microphone while singing 'hit me' and while I'm sure my younger siblings had no idea what he was inferring (I'm not sure they could have even spelt 'fellatio'), I knew exactly what was going on.  It was about this time my mother walked into the room, saw what we were watching and hit the roof.  There was no doubting she also knew what he was miming.  To cut a long story short, it took a lot of cajoling before we could watch Countdown again (at least, with her blessings).

Jukebox Dury includes this track as well as the superbness that is Reasons To Be Cheerful, Sweet Gene Vincent and of course, the generations-defining anthem, Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll, all of which serve to remind me of how good Dury was and how sad it is he's no longer with us.

VERDICT: TURN IT UP and hit me, hit me, HIT ME!


For more information: http://www.iandury.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment