Monday, November 1, 2010

Muse - Origin Of Symmetry


YOURZ

I bought Origin Of Symmetry because of one song: Plug In Baby.  I'd heard the song numerous times on radio and I saw the accompanying video and I really liked what I heard. 

We saw them at a Big Day Out a couple of years later, after they had released the Absolution, the follow up to this album and the one that saw the band move from clubs to stadiums around the world.  And they put on a great live show and make a whole heck of a lot of noise for a three piece.  Since then, they've risen to become one of the biggest acts in the world. 

The problem for me, however, is that I very quickly grow tired and a little bit annoyed with the pervasive use of Bellamy's histrionic falsetto.  And then I end up wishing Bellamy would just grow some balls and sing like a man.  I know this is probably a poor critique but there you have it.  Muse have a lot of fans and good on them for doing so.  However, I'm not one of 'em.

VERDICT: THROW IT OUT


MINE

These are the things I think about Origin of Symmetry:

Matt Bellamy has obviously never taken singing lessons.  Yes, he's got a great voice, but it's very painful listening to him gasp his way through songs.  Dear Matt, breathe from the diaphragm, relax your shoulders and open your throat.

All the songs on the CD sound the same.  Grumpy and whiny.  Oh, except for the one track I vaguely recognised (Feeling Good) which is actually a cover.  Of a Nina Simone song.  Oh, the horror.

They just pack too much into each track.  Too much vocal flightiness, too many bells and whistles, too many twinkly piano lines.  Enough, already!

Rock?  They sound like an indie version of Coldplay. Bleurgh.  (YourZ sez: not really indie, anymore, though)

VERDICT: THROW IT OUT


For more information: http://muse.mu/

No comments:

Post a Comment