Wednesday, May 12, 2010

P Money - Magic City

MINE

Ho and furthermore Hum.  And not Ho in the sense of "Niggaz got dere Hos" either, despite the frankly HUGE amount of references to niggaz on this CD.  Which is kind of weird for a white guy from New Zealand.  Straight outta Auckland, y'all.

The Akon track is quite good, but frankly this CD embodies everything I find boring and irrelevant about hip-hop.  And I don't object to the genre as a whole, just this sort of stuff.  There's bitchez and rags-to-riches stories and guns and threats to kill and the glorification of high-end consumerism.  None of which has anything to do with my life experience, and all of which makes me sad that these attitudes are being held up as attractive to a music-buying public.

And while YourZ may think he's a well-respected producer, anyone who's that fond of using chipmunk-fast vocals has to be regarded with suspicion.  (YourZ sez: in my defence, I was only quoting references - never said I believed it though.  Agree with you about the chipmunk voices - I find 'em just plain silly).


VERDICT: THROW IT OUT


YOURZ

Magic City is another CD I bought to use as a guide to help me produce some of my own tracks for the hip hop act I worked with then.  P-Money is a respected New Zealand hip hop DJ/Producer and has a following for his tight new school beats.  For this, his second full length album, he attracted a roster of hip hop stars, mainly from the States, and including Skillz, Grandmaster Roc Raida, Mystro (from the UK) and others. This album also features a track by Akon, Keep On Calling, which basically introduced this artist to a wider audience.

All this is well and good, I suppose, if you're into American hip hop or RnB.  For the most part, though, I'm not and I was surprised this features so many American artists, given the depth of hip hop talent in En Zed. In fact, my favourite tracks on this,  Driven and Stop The Music, both feature Scribe, a local MC.  But these tracks hardly redeem the rest of the album, which sees most of the guests resort to the usual bag of either 'I grew up hard but look at me now' or 'I'm so fuckin' gansta, you better not mess with me' lyrics.  Yes, all very boring and completely irrelevant for most of us, which is a pity, because a lot of the beats are really good.

VERDICT: THROW IT OUT


No comments:

Post a Comment