Monday, September 6, 2010

Butterfingers - Breakfast At Fatboy's


YOURZ

Simply put, Butterfingers are Australia's answer to The Beastie Boys meets The Bloodhound Gang.  They are irreverent, funny, crass and clever.  And while some of the humour is defiantly below the belt, it is performed in such a way that you can't help but smile.  And the very colloquial references endear this band to me even more.

I laughed out loud when I first heard Everytime and hoped the band wouldn't prove to be a one-hit wonder or, even worse, a novelty act of some sort.  With the release of Breakfast At Fatboys, they proved neither was the case.  Nor were they a one trick pony, as this début proved, crossing into punk, big beat, dub and straight up indie rock.  And always delivered with lyrics that stick in your head, the sort you catch yourself singing in the most inappropriate of places.

Produced by Australia's Magoo, who has produced some of Australia's best bands over the years, ...Fatboys was followed up by The Deeper You Dig, which included the wonderful Figjam (Fuck I'm Good, Just Ask Me).  Equally as much fun, this album proved to be even more popular than their first, landing them an APRA Award for most played urban song.  An indefinite hiatus has followed but I don't think this is the last we'll be hearing of Butterfingers.  And a good thing too. 

VERDICT: TURN IT UP Yo Mama's on the top of my things to do list...


MINE

These guys are in that (for me) hip-hop nirvana of rock and pop and rap all thrown together and blended up with the cheekiest lyrics you can imagine.  One of my prized posessions is a Butterfingers t-shirt that proved too small for my husband's recently-enlarged figure (due to pumping iron, not eating doughnuts).  It's a Yo' Mama picture and has occasionally elicited queries from interested bystanders.  Kind of difficult to explain in polite company.

And while I do love that song and I Love Work (it's sarcastic!) it's Everytime that really floats my boat.  I'd call it the ultimate loser song - everytime this guy does something, something bad happens to him.  I've only seen them once, supporting Grinspoon, but they were amazing.  While they do have the sort of lyrics and sound that appeals to a bunch of teenagers (yes, they include fart references) I'm not so much of an old codger that I'd fail to appreciate their humour.

VERDICT: TURN IT UP (a chicken's not a vegetable!)



In our collection, we also have: The Deeper You Dig

2 comments:

  1. with my affection for Bloodhound Gang ("The Lap Dance is so Much Better When The Stripper is Crying"), and your festive tags, i may have to have a listen to Butterfingers...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out their videos on YouTube Daisy - these guys are seriously silly (can't believe I wrote that!)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH4Se7nyl2s
    and many more

    Hugs
    YourZ and Mine

    ReplyDelete