Tuesday, August 31, 2010

August - Wrapup

MINE

Wow.  Only four more months to go.  Two-thirds of the way through this epic journey, and I'm still amazed the albums can delight and inspire and annoy and amuse me.  I guess it shows just how much music means to me, to us, that we can still feel so thrilled to be doing this, more than 200 reviews later.

Each month I get a little more informed about what really moves me, what makes me jump and shimmy or snivel and moan.  And each month I marvel and the grand span of music that exists in our little flat, and wonder about how much more I haven't heard, that I'll maybe never hear.

This month I'm a little tired of winter, and I'm looking forward to taking a break from it next month, when we head north to our spiritual home in Cairns, which we hope someday to make our actual home.  But rest assured, dear readers, we have the technology to accompany us, and we'll continue to post reviews and answer your comments.  Sending out free CDs may have to wait till we return home, however.

YOURZ

Well, this far into the project, it would be reasonable to expect to hear we're burnt out, we're sick of listening and writing about music or that we're just bored with the whole idea now.  But if anything, the opposite is true.

Not only has this opened up our collection, it has also reinvigorated our love of good music.  But I realised this month something else being a part of this musical mission has done - it has redefined my personal tastes by chipping away the shards of crap to reveal something altogether more splendid.  Yeah, I know, rather flowery but don't you dare start calling me petal, okay?

Like Mine says, I feel much more informed about what I like and better equipped to express it more completely.  This also means that instead of jumping ears-first into some candied crapola, I am actually taking the time to listen carefully and make a better judgement.  I am hoping this will mean that our collection will continue to grow but without the inclusion of anything even slightly rubbish.

I fully expected Mine to rant a bit about the fact we went through a national election process this month that resulted in the biggest anti-climax of all - no clear winner on the day.  In fact, as I write this, there is still no clear winner.  While I'm not politically-minded, I'm actually starting to think this might be a good thing.  But time will tell, I guess. (Mine says: Can't comment on a no-verdict - next month, maybe!)

Now, down to business.  This month, we've decided our giveaway will be to the very fine Perplexio, who has been a constant source of support and encouragement.  He has a number of great blogs, mostly about music but sometimes not and always has an interesting point of view.  Check out his blogger profile here and have a look at his different blogs.  You won't be disappointed.

Thanks for riding with us this far.  Hope you stick around for the rest of this wonderful voyage.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shoutout! It's tremendously appreciated. You guys are always enjoyable to read.

    ReplyDelete