Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Cranberries - Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We?

MINE

I bought the album because I loved Linger - but I've kind of avoided playing it since the next album came out.  That's because the teenage kids I was living next door to at the time bought it and put Zombie on high rotation at full volume.  Caused a bit of an antipathy to Dolores O'Riordan's voice, but I'm happy to report that seems to have subsided.

Mostly I love the Irish brogue that creeps into all of their songs.  There's something so warm and friendly about the way Dolores says "dere" for "there" and "tings" for "things".  It's a beautiful album that's spent far too long at the back of the drawer.

VERDICT: TURN IT UP


YOURZ

I remember jokingly saying way back when Everybody Else... was hugely popular, "Everybody else is getting it, so why don't I?"  Listening back to it now for this review, this hasn't changed.  At the time, I was in guitarist/writer for an indie pop band with a female vocalist and as a consequence, tried to avoid listening to bands of a similar nature.

Having said this, I shared a house with said singer and a couple of other girls who were all fans of this album, so I must have heard it a lot of times.  Funny thing is, I don't remember much of it beyond the obvious, being Linger and Dreams.  But I'm sure this is because I heard these two tracks (along with Zombie) so many bloody times over the years, they're embedded in my subconcious somewhere, taking up precious, valuable real estate where I could instead store decent movie quotes (something I can never seem to remember).  As a consequence, I have only one choice: (Mine says: Come on, there are many much more horrible songs that take up equal brain space - Copacabana, anyone?) 

VERDICT: THROW IT OUT

For more information: http://www.cranberries.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment