Friday, June 25, 2010

Tom Waits - Real Gone

MINE

That gravelly, whiskey and cigarette-saoked voice, the dead-pan delivery, no, it couldn't be anyone else but Tom Waits.  Actor, singer, songwriter and, in my opinion at least, beat poet - he's truly a renaissance man for the 21st century.  Just take a wander over to his website and click on his "wit & wisdom" page - a great way to spend some time scratching your head and occasionally roaring with laughter.

Real Gone is a blues album (sometimes) that I can listen to (sometimes).  But my favourite track on the whole CD is one of his poems-to-music - Circus.  My favourite lines are "And over in the burnt yellow tent/ By the frozen tractor, the music was like electric sugar"  I mean, how awesome is that?  And a line from an earlier Waits song, What's He Building? has entered into our personal lexicon - "What's he doing in there?"

The problem I have with listening to Tom is that you really have to.  Listen.  It's not fluffy background or something that'll help a mood along.  It's demanding stuff.  So that makes it hard for me to wholeheartedly endorse it, plus also he does mostly do blues, which I really have to be in the mood for.

VERDICT:TURN IT DOWN


YOURZ

It's Tom Waits, fuck it all!  What can I possibly say that hasn't been said a million times by much better observers of music than me?  As the man would most probably say "nothin' but nothin'".  He's not just a musician, songwriter or actor (although, as Mine rightly points out, he is at least these things) but should be declared a living icon, a monumental musical force whose abilities, power and influence touches every corner of this beautiful big globe. 

I'll say it again: its Tom Waits.  What else do you need to know?

VERDICT: TURN IT UP and as Mine says, really listen!

For more information: http://www.tomwaits.com/

In our collection, we also have:

No comments:

Post a Comment