Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Snowdroppers - Too Late To Pray

MINE

Sometimes I think my husband hides music from me on purpose (YourZ sez: yes, this is exactly what I do.  I hide it in the big unobtrusive set of drawers next to the television cabinet where you would never think to look).  Was I in a bad mood when he brought this CD home?  Perhaps I had PMT or was displaying the "horns-and-teeth" mode my digestive system brings out when I've had too little to eat (I have an overactive pancreas and chronic low blood sugar).

Whatever  - I was delighted to hear the Snowdroppers as a support act when we went to see Wagons last month and puzzled as to why I hadn't heard of them before, given this album is in our collection.  It's a great CD, particularly the opening number Do The Stomp.  But I will say I'm probably more inclined to like it because I've seen these guys play live.  The lead singer's very easy on the eyes... and leaps about on the stage like someone's rammed a power cord somewhere unmentionable.  And what would you call the music?  Punkabilly?  Hi-NRG blues?  Ech, we eschew labels in our house, anyway.

It just goes to show, this project is going to keep on opening my ears to some great tunes.  I guess I can't blame YourZ for holding out on me for all the gems I uncover as we go along... (YourZ sez: phew!)

VERDICT: TURN IT UP


YOURZ

Another great band from my hometown, The Snowdroppers are also very new.  Too Late To Pray is their debut and highlights exactly what this band is all about: raucous, rollicking good time rock and roll.  And they are even more so live.  In fact, I can hardly wait to see them again, such was the impression they made.

While they might draw both their musical and fashion influences from the past, even down to their nom de plumes (Johnny Wishbone, Pauly K, London and Cougar Jones), their authenticity lies very much in the here and now - this is a well-produced recording, with songs about all manner of modern matters from drugs (Good Drugs Bad Women, Fucked Up), girls (Rosemary, Roll In My Sweet Baby's Arms) and the nine to five dilemma (Do The Stomp), among other subjects. 

Musically, they strut the territory between punk and blues and pack a huge punch in doing so.  Often the instrumentation includes banjo and harmonica, but again, while this gives it a certain authenticity, it's not over-played or annoying as both these instruments potentially could be.  In fact, these only add to the whole flavour of the band.  So, if you're living in Australia and reading this, make sure you get out and see The Snowdroppers when they're in your town next.  You won't be disappointed.  For all you overseas readers, watch out because they could very well be coming your way in the future.

VERDICT: TURN IT UP


For more information: http://www.snowdroppers.com/news

No comments:

Post a Comment